Waratahs ruin Tana's show

The home town faithful, 25,000 of them, came out to honour their departing legend second five-eighths/centre Tana Umaga, but it wasn't an occasion for home town fans to remember.

The Waratahs dispelled any thoughts that they had been upset by the shape of their season but unleashing a vigorous display which appeared to unhinge the home team which was guilty of far too much light-headed play and which suited the Waratahs down to the ground as they took five points, with a bonus point for tries scored, from the game.

Along the way, a likely new lock in the shape of lock Dean Mumm emerged, scoring a superb try and showing out in some of the looser play that developed in the game.

Wing Lote Tuqiri completed his quest for a holy try-scoring grail by getting his first for the season while centre Ben Jacobs capped a good game with the last try.

The first half proved fiery but it was the Waratahs who took a 13-7 lead to the half-time break.

Some physically intimidating play from both sides marked the opening exchanges but it was the Waratahs who settled down quickest and after fullback Peter Hewat opened the scoring with a penalty goal, it was Mumm who scored the first try.

He took a pass from a disrupted lineout and then found the way open up for him to race untouched 30m to the goal-line. Hewat added a conversion and soon after landed a difficult penalty goal from beyond 40m in the swirling wind conditions.

But that finally resulted in an error-free Hurricanes surge. Prop John Schwalger gained the ball from the re-started and rumbled his way towards the goal-line. When he was stopped about 10m short, the maul formed and when the Hurricanes secured the ball, first five-eighths Jimmy Gopperth raced through the gap and had too much momentum for flanker Phil Waugh's tackle to stop him and scored.

Halfback Piri Weepu added the conversion.

Straight after the break however, wing Lachlan Turner made the most of a favourable bounce and fullback Cory Jane's stumble to score a fine try. Hewat added the conversion to give the Waratahs a 20-7 advantage.

Soon after the restart wing Lachlan Turner made life difficult for the home team when scoring a fine try, with room to move and he was followed soon after by Tuqiri down the opposite side of the ground.

Ten minutes into the second half, the Hurricanes attempted to batter their way through the forwards to the goal-line and after one failed attempt, from the resulting play it was flanker Jerry Collins, back from injury, who got over the line to score.

However, in their haste to try and get back into the game, they made silly mistakes, which brought back memories of the dark old days of Hurricanes attitude problems.

Hewat landed two more penalty goals and then as the Hurricanes continued to try and run the ball it was Jacobs who intercepted a Weepu pass to deliver the coup de grace with a deserved try.


Waratahs 38 (Dean Mumm, Lachlan Turner, Lote Tuqiri, Ben Jacobs tries; Peter Hewat 3con, 4 pen) Hurricanes 14 (Jimmy Gopperth, Jerry Collins tries; Weepu 2 con). HT: 13-7.